Description: Erectile dysfunction is a condition that affects thousands of men each year, ED as it is usually said is the inability to maintain an erection during sexual intercourse. Most men think the only way to prevent, control or even eliminate ED is through common erectile dysfunction treatment methods, although it is not the case.
A person who is facing the effects of erectile dysfunction, can actually do a few exercises that could help him overcome them. Exercises like kegels, pilates and aerobics helps eliminate ED, along with promoting better health and lifestyle which have their own benefits. Before going into the details of those exercises let us evaluate the causes of erectile dysfunction. ED is very common in older men, who have a higher BMI, low activity levels, although men can experience it at any age. Some causes as well as risk factors are mentioned so that people with ED can avoid them.
1) Obesity 5) Cardiovascular disease
2) Alcohol 6) Prostate cancer
3) Low activity 7) Smoking
Apart from the above mentioned causes, a proper diet is mandatory for those suffering from ED. Let us now try the exercises given below, which can promote an overall healthy body and also helps you fight the symptoms of ED. You can eliminate the symptoms of erectile dysfunction with exercise. Exercises like kegels, pilates and aerobics help normalise or even eliminate ED.
1). Kegel Exercises: Kegels are one of the most common and beneficial exercises for erectile dysfunction. You can get over the effects of ED by strengthening the pelvic floor muscles. The pelvic floor exercises or the kegels when practiced correctly are perfect to combat any ill effects of ED.
In men the kegels help strengthen the bulbocavernosus muscle, which is an important muscle that allows the penis to fill with blood during an erection, and pump during ejaculation, and empty the urethra after urination. If this muscle is corrected for its underperformance, you can see longer lasting and satisfying erections.
Kegels exercises must be practised on a daily basis and many times a day in order to get notable improvements in ED. Kegel exercises are so simple that they can be practiced anywhere, sitting, standing or lying down also.
Kegels are known to to improve issues like urinary incontinence and other urinary problems, thus having a positive impact on your sex life.
How to practice kegel exercises – Before you start the kegel exercises, ensure that you locate the bulbocavernosus muscle. Do this by stopping and starting the flow of urine stream multiple times during urination, and the muscle you use to do this is the one you need to choose for kegels. Remember not to clench the muscles of the buttocks, stomach or legs instead of the right muscle to get the right results. Follow the steps now:
- To begin your kegels, you can either lie down, sit or stand.
- Clench your bulbocavernosus muscle and hold for three seconds.
- Release and repeat three to five times.
- Repeat the above three times in a day for best results
When you feel that your muscles are stronger now, you can increase the count to five seconds and more. Prepare yourself to hold the muscle for at least 10 seconds and repeat the kegel exercises at least five times a day. If you practice these kegel exercises for four to six weeks, you will find a marked improvement in your ED symptoms, muscles will be toned and strengthened.
2). Pilates Exercises – There are a few pilates exercises which when practiced helps you fight ED. Try the following exercises.
- a). Knee Fallouts: Knee fallouts are the best additions to kegel exercises as they are very easy. Lie on the floor and keep both your knees bent and feet on the ground. Use your pelvic muscles and slowly lower one knee sideways towards the ground. Next keep both feet on the floor and lower your knee as far as it can go while using your pelvic muscles. Bring your knees back to center position and repeat with the other knee. Ensure you do five repetitions on each knee, with a goal to build upto 10 repetitions on each knee.
- b). Supine Foot Raise: Lie down on the floor with both knees bent and feet on the ground. Now use your pelvic muscles and lift one foot straight out into the air creating an angle of 45degrees. Hold this position for a few seconds, and slowly place your foot back on the ground and repeat on the other side too.
- c). Pelvic Curl: This exercise of pilates is commonly known as bridge, begins with lying on the floor with hands on your sides, knees bent and feet on the ground. Now use your pelvic muscles and lift your buttocks into the air, having the weight of your body on your shoulders. Repeat this at least for at least 10 repetitions.
3). Aerobic Exercises – A study has proved that the impact of physical activity on ED is that it can fight the odds of ED very easily if practiced at least four times a week. These exercises should last for at least 40 minutes and maintain a steady schedule for about 6 months before you see remarkable improvements in ED symptoms.
Some aerobic exercises that you can try are the following:
Please do note that these exercises do not eliminate ED, but they definitely improve the risk factors associated with erectile dysfunction. Aerobics exercises have the capacity to improve cardiovascular health and work against issues like obesity while increasing your levels of activity, all of these together help you live with an improved condition of ED.
When exercises do not work for Erectile Dysfunction – After detailed information about all the exercises to deal with ED, it is necessary for all men to know that these exercises do work for most men having ED, yet they are not guaranteed to work for every man. When diet and exercise are not enough to deal with symptoms of ED, it is time to meet a urologist. Urologists at The Urology Hospital, Bangalore treating erectile dysfunction is one area of expertise, where you can get help to implement a healthy diet into your daily routine, along with a treatment that works best for you to deal with symptoms of ED. Urologists also educate, listen and guide you through the effects of erectile dysfunction, so that you do not have to endure a life suffering from ED. Allow the team of urologists to help you conquer erectile dysfunction.