Kidney stone disease is one of the most common problems of the urinary tract. Once a person gets a stone in the kidney, he will get another within 5 years. It is important to prevent getting stones in the kidney. Kidney stones are formed when the urine has high levels of minerals and salts.
Minerals and salts stick together and crystalize, and form the stone. What we eat and drink, or our diet plays a major role in developing kidney stones. Learn to prevent stones by following the series of information we are here to share.
Types of Kidney Stones
- Calcium Stones — 80% of stones, are of two types: calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate, former being more prevalent.
- Uric Acid Stones — 5-10% of stones, often formed in persons who are overweight, have type 2 diabetes, gout or those who consume too much animal protein.
- Struvite/Infection Stones — 10% of stones, not a very common type of stone, are mostly from urinary tract infections(UTIs), if not treated on time.
- Cysteine Stones — less than 1% of stones, is an inherited disorder, is formed when urine has high levels of cysteine, a protein building block the body makes naturally.
What to eat and what not to eat when you have :
Calcium Oxalate Stones – Eat less sodium, animal protein, high oxalate foods, but more calcium.
Calcium Phosphate Stones- Eat less sodium and animal proteins, but more calcium.Uric Acid Stones– Eat less animal protein.
Fight Kidney Stones disease with the Right Food
- Fluids: Drink enough fluids each day, 3 litres at least.
- Fruits and Veggies: Eat at least 5 servings of each (½ cup).
- Low Oxalate: Eat foods with low oxalate levels, only if you have high urine oxalate.
- Less Meat: Eat more plant-based protein and limit meat- a small portion a day.
- Calcium: Eat more calcium-rich foods, about 1000 mg per day.
- Less Salt: Limit sodium in your diet, 2300mg- 1 teaspoon of salt per day.
Note: Although changes in diet may bring about many benefits – help with kidney stones, lower your blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Always make sure to talk to your health care provider, as he knows what type of stones you have.
Contact 080 28483939 for more information on Kidney Stones disease and treatment at our Specialized Clinic, ReSCUE Urology Hospital in Bangalore, Kengeri.