Some of the most common myths are:
- If you want to become a father, then having sex everyday increases the chances of your wife conceiving.
- Wearing a certain kind of underwear will boost your sperm production.
- If a couple is unable to achieve parenthood, then the whole issue is directed on the female.
The real facts are :
- None of the above are true, facts will be discussed in detail.
- The fertility issues with a couple is as follows :
- The fact is that 50% of the time it is the female, 20% lies
- With the male, and 30% it could be due to both.
Myth: Having sex daily will increase your chances of conception
- More the sex, the higher is the rate of success to conceive.
- Daily sex is necessary in order to conceive.
Fact : Conceiving is all about timing
A man’s sperm is alive for 48 to 72 hours in a woman’s reproductive tract.
Having sex every other day is sufficient when a couple is trying to conceive. Timing intercourse to the “fertile window” is important while you want to conceive. (the 5 to 6 days leading up to and including ovulation.
Myth : If ejaculate is normal, there is no issue with the sperm
- If ejaculate is normal, there is nothing wrong with the male
- No tests need to be done.
Fact : Sperm are microscopic, and the majority of the ejaculated fluid is not sperm
- Sperm analysis is to be done, to know if the male factor is the reason for infertility.
- Semen has to be analysed by trained technicians.
Myth: Taking supplemental testosterone can enhance a man’s fertility
- Supplemental testosterone enhance exercise and workout so it should also enhance my fertility.
- The man “looks manly” so he’s fertile.
Fact : Taking testosterone supplement actually reduces male fertility
- It can only increase a man’s libido and energy level but suppresses the production of testosterone.
- They can shut down sperm production.
Myth: Marijuana causes infertility
Smoking marijuana is detrimental to male fertility
Fact : Recent research suggests that the above is not true
The study found little overall association between male or female fertility connected to marijuana usage.
Myth : The type of underwear worn by men affects their fertility
For maximum fertility, men should wear boxers instead of briefs, or vice versa
Fact : It really doesn’t matter what kind of underwear men use
- They should be comfortable in whatever they wear.
- Scrotal temperature is important – the testicles need to stay cooler than the rest of the body for proper sperm production.
- Wearing snug underwear does not seem to have much impact.
Contact 080 28483939 for more information on Erectile Dysfunction and Treatment at our Specialised Clinic, ReSCUE Urology Hospital in Bangalore, Kengeri.